Sunday, December 14, 2008

breakthrough

Quite pleased last week when I introduced theater into the ESL classroom and - to my surprise - got amazing results! My lowest level class is a group of 32 students, 10 of which come regularly. Yeah, you read that correctly: 10 out of 32. The rest are staying at home I suppose, wasting away their parents' money without a care in the world. But you know what? It's ok, we ranted about that last time and today is not the day for rants. Today I have come to terms with it and happily realized that those ten that show up are the cream of the crop, some for their English ability, but others for their dedication and diligence. And that's really what counts. So today is a day to recognize what can happen when a teacher puts a little faith in and gives the freedom of creativity to her students.


















































My students
created not one, but two, interpretations of a play that I adapted/scripted from an old Ethiopian folktale, called Fire, Water, Truth, and Falsehood (I changed Falsehood to Deceit).

It was hilarious and they had so much fun. It really helped them get over their nervousness of speaking English, and it encouraged them to work on pronunciationa . 161 teachers, you would have been so impressed =) Sooo, mission accomplished!

Next time, I really have to take video don't I?

2 comments:

wynsters the tigress said...

yes, next time i shall request video.

Anonymous said...

im sorry, this has nothing to do with your blog post, but its late here about 1, n i just made tater tots extra crispy, n i have way to many for just me. where r u?. i cant eat all these.... makes me miss you. ( also makes me fat eatin a ton of tater tots all by myself at 1 in the mornin.)