Thursday, October 9, 2008

i love how...

...the Shanghainese way of saying "Excuse me" is to push past you, and in the process, run over your feet with their shopping cart at the supermarket. Ouch.

...when students are scheduled to give a presentation in my class, they say, "I'll be there," and then don't show up. How rude. Wish I would call their parents...but, alas, noooo.

...my spoken Chinese throws people for a loop and I've been asked if I'm Hong Kong-nese (sp?), Japanese, or Korean. How about Latina, right Sanchez?! Ha.

...professional development the other day was on interactive whiteboards (aka SMARTboards!!) but there are none in any Shanghai schools and the closest are 700 miles away in Beijing. And we don't have enough money to buy any. I don't get it?

...I tell my dad how much I love my writing class and he goes, "But you have no formal training in teaching writing. You sure you know what you're doing?" GRRRR first of all because GRRRR is the normal response to his comments. And secondly, my ever-so-thorough Teaching Fellows Master's degree doesn't count for anything???

Ohhhh wait.