I'm working, of course! Well, sorta. I'm an English lecturer at Shanghai International Studies University. Teaching is unlike anything I've ever known. I have Mondays off, and classes from 8:00 to 11:30. That's right, my day ends with lunch. But now there are no more kid tears to wipe and no one to yell at (God, I really miss that). One of my classes is a test prep class, and it's largely freshmen (I forgot how immature we were at 18...) mixed with almost 10 college grads -- talk about your differentiated instruction. Haha- at least I've had practice with that! If they pass their English exam, it qualifies them to study abroad...but I'm not sure that will happen for many of them.
I also teach a Business English class of fairly good speakers, nice students overall. They have been giving Powerpoint presentations once a week - more work for them, less work for me. Probably my favorite class is my English writing class. The intimidating thing about that class is that they are ALL professors preparing for their year abroad as visiting scholars. I've never met so many physicians and biochemists in my life!! They are amazing - incredibly intelligent, willing to learn, soak up what I teach, and make me feel good at what I do. They are a pleasure to have.
My next step - sign up for Chinese classes (my original reason for coming to this side of the world) and possibly Spanish. Wouldn't that be fun?
Below - the building where my office and all my classes are held, 410 East Ti Yu Hui Rd; and my office, which I share with a senior teacher originally from Providence and a Chinese colleague, also from the English department.
1 comment:
kimmy, your office looks bright and cheery! glad to see that you landed over there well. what an adventure you will have this year! xo, liz
Post a Comment